Filmed an episode of Mental Floss today! 15 innovations making the world better for women, because everyone deserves access to safe and clean toilets, sanitary pads, and educational resources. Stay tuned for the video.
Sweet! Emily Graslie plus Mental Floss sounds like a winning combination, and it’s a really interesting topic. Looking forward to the video!
…though for about a quarter second there as I was scrolling down I honestly thought it was another Hank Green / Taylor Swift mashup
This is how I feel every time I talk about burdock.
Have you ever really seen a burdock though? They look ridiculous!
I found this awesome JEDI JOURNAL at a flea market. Thought I’d share some scans of its glory.
On some of the pages, the author practiced his cursive signature. So I looked up his name, found a match, and this happened:
Did you ask him if he still goes by “Chubby”?
Man. I recently found old journals of myself from about that same age, and yes – stuff like that is golden. Reading back, you can almost remember what it felt like to be, like, seven – what was important to you, what you were thinking when you were writing things like “I wos two years wen I saw a ice crem”… Maybe as a writer especially, it can be awesome to reconnect with your seven-year-old self; writing kids can be really hard, and every little bit helps.
Poo on you.
You know what I love?
You know what I love more than just names?
Geographically accurate names.
(Current popular names all over the world)
The following information was found here
Names From The Ancient World
Medieval European Names
Medieval English Names
Anglo-Saxon/Old English Names
Modern English First Names
- The Central Stock of English First Names
- Linknames (feminine forms of Biblical, Celtic, germanic, Greek, Latin and Modern male names)
- Saints (calendar of saints, patron saints)
- Modern Coinages
Placenames | Blended | Combined | Borrowed Words | Unisex
- Surname Adaptations (English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh and Foreign surnames used as first names)
- Themed Names (twins, mulit-births, colors, creatures dates, etc)
Western European Names
Eastern European Names
Former Soviet Union Names
Northern Native American Names
- Native names used in modern America
- Various Native American Nations
- Algonquin [Cheyenne, Shawnee, Mohican/Mahican]
- Apache [Mimbreno, Warm Springs, White Mountain, Bedonkohe, Chiricahua]
- Iroquois [Cayuga, Mohawk, Oneida, Onundagas, Seneca, Tuscaroa]
- Ojibwa [Ojibway, Potawatomi, Chippewa]
- Cherokee | Choctaw | Creek | Crow | Hopi | Kiowa | Miwok | Navajo | Nez Perce | Omaha | Osage | Seminole | Sioux | Yakima
Southern and Central Native American Names
- Aztec [History, Male, Female, Religion, Calendars, Rulers]
- Inca [Male, Female, Religion, Calendars]
- Maya [History, Male, Female, Religion, Calendars]
- Amazonian [Names from tribes living in the rain forests]
Middle and Near Eastern
I have died and gone to heaven